Thursday, July 26, 2007

Jacob's Story, Part 2 - The Delivery

I think I was in labor on July 31, but I wasn't sure. Around lunchtime, I didn't feel very well. I continued working the remainder of the day, but I left work around 4:00 p.m. so as to avoid the traffic in case I went into labor. Around 6:30 p.m. I finally called the doctor. I was pleased to learn that my favorite doctor, Dr. Barrett, was on call that night. Since it was my first pregnancy, she told me it would be fine if I wanted to come in to the hospital to be checked.

Jeff and I packed a bag, and called our moms on the way to Rex Hospital. We told them we were pretty sure I'd be sent back home. Since they both live over 2 hours away we told them not to come just yet. We had planned to tell them to come once we knew I was in labor or was admitted to the hospital. When they checked me at the hospital on Monday night, I had not had much progress from the previous Wednesday's OB appointment - I was still around 2 cm and 80% effaced. The doctor said it was close, and I might be 2.5 cm. They let me walk around for an hour or so. I finally saw Dr. Barrett again around 11:30 p.m. At that point, she decided to keep me overnight and if nothing was going on by morning, they would discharge me. It was late, so we decided not to call our parents and get their hopes up. At 12:15 a.m. Dr. Barrett checked me and I was 3 cm and she decided to break my water. I was pretty happy because that meant I would not leave the hospital still pregnant!

Breaking my water certainly got things moving. Every 15 minutes, the nurse would come in and check on me, at 12:30 a.m., 12:45 a.m., etc. and each time, I would tell her I was managing without pain medication. Finally, at 1:30 a.m., I decided to ask for Stadol, but I still did not want an epidural. When the nurse checked me, she told me I was 9 cm! I had progress from 3 cm to 9 cm in one hour and fifteen minutes! Apparently I was in labor! By that time, I couldn't have gotten an epidural if I had wanted one, but they did give me Stadol.

By 1:50 a.m. I wanted to push, but had to wait until a little after 2:00 a.m. to be fully dilated. After 19 minutes of pushing, Jacob was born at 2:27 a.m. I remember they put him on my stomach and I felt such awe looking at him. I noticed a little angel's kiss over his left eye. A few minutes later, they whisked him over to the warming table to check him out. Jeff was snapping pictures left and right. As they were examining Jacob, I heard a nurse say to get the special care nursery team right away. There was something wrong. I had no idea what was going on. Then, I remember them saying, "bag him," and knowing I had heard that on T.V. before, I knew he was having trouble breathing, and things were not good. Then, they rushed him away to the special care nursery since Rex Hospital is a smaller community type hospital, and does not have a NICU. The confusion was just beginning...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You left me with that!!!!! Come on, now! lol just kidding :0). You're such a good story teller. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of Jacob's story.

Kellie said...

i am crying just reading it. i can't imagine not knowing. you guys are soo strong. i knew going in to the delivery with Scott . . .