Thursday, August 7, 2008

Arterial Switch Operation Anniversary

Two years ago today, at this moment, Jeff & I took turns holding our 6 day old baby boy. It was a quiet Monday morning. Around 1 p.m. the anesthesiologist came to wheel Jacob away. We walked with him all the way to the elevator that would take Jacob to the surgical suite. The tears streamed down our faces as they took him away.

Then, we said a prayer. Jeff & I then took the little Duke tram over to another part of the hospital to sort of "get away" and try to eat some lunch. We finally returned to the PICU waiting area and were joined by friends & family.

It was a long 3.5 hours before we got our first update at 4:30 p.m. that the ASO had been completed. The ASO, of course, reverses the pulmonary artery & aorta back to their anatomical position. I've heard that the heart of a newborn baby is about the size of a strawberry. Amazing work, Dr. Jaggers, simply amazing.

About 15 minutes later, they let us know he had come off the bypass and that his heart was pumping & his lungs oxygenating his blood. A while later, they wheeled him by quickly. Nearly an hour after that, perhaps 7 p.m., we finally got to go back & see him. We didn't take any pictures, which is something I sort of regret. At the same time, I can still see the image in my eye. He had tubes and wires everywhere, and a little forehead temperature thing.

I almost consider August 7 to be a kind of "birthday" for Jacob. It's the day his heart was fixed by the talented Dr. Jaggers, so that he could go on to live a long, happy, normal life.

4 comments:

The Portas said...

Absolutely, this is a day to celebrate! Happy 2nd heart day, Jacob. You're an amazing little man and you sure have come a long way. Keep up the good work!

Crystal said...

Jenni,
Thank you so much for stopping by and sending me a comment. I can't wait to get done with work so I can read more of your story. I just read this post and I TOTALLY understand how its like a second birthday for our sons. It will always be the day that the rest of his life began. I think most Heart Moms understand.

I would love to add you to my blogroll also (if you don't mind). The more we can raise awareness of CHD the better!!

Thanks again!

Crystal

Anonymous said...

Yay! Happy 2nd heart day indeed! These little guys are so amazing!

Corrie said...

Happy 2nd heart day Jacob! It certainly is a time to celebrate the many obstacles our heart kids have overcome. Josh's first birthday is in a couple of weeks which means his first heart day isn't too far behind and I already find myself reflecting on what life was like a year ago. Goofyj is right,these little guys are amazing - and inspiring.

I hope Jacob is doing well and is settling in to his new daycare. Wishing you all the best!