Friday, May 11, 2007

Somber Day

It's somewhat of a somber day around my office. For those of you who don't know, I've worked in State Government for a little over 2 years now. When I first started, a coworker, we'll call her LG [she's a very private person, so I want to try to protect her privacy], showed me around and even attended some of my first meetings with me, riding 2 hours in a car each way together. Shortly after, LG switched jobs, but was still in my Section, so I'd still see her, but we didn't work together.

About a month ago, we found out LG was in the hospital. She's young, around 29 years old. Apparently, she was born with some type of congenital condition with her liver. She had reached a point that she was in desperate need of a new liver and had been placed at #1 on the Duke liver transplant list. This all came as somewhat of a shock to our coworkers, who had no idea she was sick. About two weeks ago, we all took a picture of our entire staff wearing Duke t-shirts, framed it and gave it to her because she is a huge Duke fan, and in fact is at Duke right now. She was very impressed, especially because probably at least 1/2 of our coworkers detest Duke sports, and love UNC or Wake, etc.

Today, we were told that if LG doesn't get a liver in the next few days, she will not live. She's reached a critical point, and her kidneys have failed. In a conversation just yesterday, I was talking to some other moms a few years older than I am. (They have teenagers.) One was telling us that she has found that even when things are grim, you have to count your blessings, and pray that God's will be done. That is so hard, but right now, I just keep thinking, Thank God that LG is still healthy enough to receive a transplant. The Lord has a plan for all of us, and he does work miracles. I would ask that you keep LG in your prayers, as well as her family at this difficult time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will keep your friend in my prayers.