Saturday, March 7, 2009

Two doctors & two pharmacies in one day

Thursday night was a rough night. Jacob was up countless times. Around 2 a.m., Jeff checked on him and said he was pretty sure Jacob's fever was back. We dressed him in some cooler PJ's, and kept checking on him. By Friday morning, he had a fever of 101 degrees.

On top of that, I woke up with hives! No idea what they were from, stress maybe? The weirdest part was that my left ear had the worst of the hives. It was swollen, red, hot and prickly. Very annoying. I quickly took 50 mg of Benadryl to keep them from getting worse.

Anyway, the plan was for me to stay home with Jacob in the morning and for Jeff to go into work and to come home at 12 Noon, then I'd head to work and probably to my doctor for a Steriod dosepack. I called the doctor and explained that while he'd been seen on Tuesday and only had a cold, he was fine Wednesday and Thursday, and then got worse overnight. Everything was worse, his cough, nasal drainage and the fever was back. They had me bring him in at 9:45 a.m. We brought Kitty again, and the visit went really smoothly. He got stickers again, and there was almost no crying at all this visit. As Dr. Ramsdell examined him, she felt like she heard the tell-tale crackling in his lower lungs and decided he probably had streptococcal pneumonia in the right lower lobe and some on the left as well. She prescribed 10 days of antibiotics and off we went to Super Target to fill the prescription, and pick up a few extra things. Jacob got a lollipop the pharmacy and really enjoyed that. It may have been his first lollipop!

The remainder of Friday, we pretty much keep him on Tylenol or Ibuprofen alternating every three hours and his fever stayed in the 101 range. He was about as sick as I have ever seen him. You could tell he was just miserable and not himself.

I went off to work at Noon, and made it into the office for maybe 45 minutes before it was time to go to my MD appointment for my hives. I see a PA actually. I was in and out of the office in 19 minutes with a prescription for Prednisone and a prescription for a Z-pack just in case I get worse since I'm already sick too. I went to the pharmacy and it took 30 min plus to fill the prescription. Pharmacies are so slow! (I did avoid the Rite Aid right by my doctor because it takes an hour there usually because it is so close to the hospital.)

I went back to work for a little while, but Jeff said that Jacob didn't want to get up from his nap, so I headed home a little after 4 p.m. When I got home, we let Jacob be for a little while, but by 5 p.m., I wanted him to get up for a little while, so I lured him out of his crib with the promise of ice cream. That worked. He got up and stayed up until about 7 p.m., when he was ready to go back to bed. Around 8 p.m., he woke up in a sweat, so I think he fever broke then, and it hasn't been back.

He was up quite a few times last night crying, it seemed like once an hour. Jeff and I think he's just "milking" it at this point. Finally at 2 a.m., I told him we weren't coming back in and he needed to go to sleep and he stayed quiet until nearly 7 a.m.!

He's doing a lot better today - full of energy. I could barely type this out because he was bouncing and standing up in my lap and playing with the mouse while I typed.

No comments: