Sunday, March 1, 2009

Wrapping Up...

Saturday, February 28:

Saturday afternoon, Jacob went down for his nap and when he woke up, he was in a whiney mood. We let him watch Blue's Clues for the 39th time in a week, but I've also explained to him multiple times that this was a treat because we were on vacation and we wouldn't be watching DVD's 24/7 when we got home. I figure, hey, it's his vacation too! After a while, he finally decided he was interested in going swimming, so Katherine & I took him in the pool. This was the only time I got into the pool the whole week, but it was finally warm enough for me! Poor Jeff was still in bed with some type of respiratory infection.

My brother & mom had gone grocery shopping for dinner. My brother had decided to make a special dinner in light of our lack of a great dinner at California Grill. We had snow crab legs for an appetizer with a garlic butter, as well as garlic bread for an appetizer. My brother made seafood pockets - puff pastry with lobster, flounder, scallops, and shrimp, then covered in a bechamel sauce with mushrooms & onions. Very rich, but very yummy. He even packed up the leftovers for Jeff and I to take home with us!

At 8:15 p.m., I decided to run out to get gas, but had to venture to THREE different gas stations because the first was too busy, and the second one, I couldn't get the pumps to work. Finally, the third, which was also busy, I was able to gas up. I decided to make my third trip to Walgreens in the last, oh, 14 hours to get some Tylenol (for Jeff's fever) and Naproxen (for my knee which had been hurting.)

After finally getting home around 9:00 p.m., I went to bed around 9:30. It's been a good trip, but we were ready to head home.

Sunday, March 1:

I awoke at 4:40 a.m. and knew we wanted to get moving by 5:00 a.m. to leave by 5:30 a.m. We wanted to allow plenty of time to get home prior to dark. For those of you not in the NC area, a winter storm warning was in affect for our area! This is pretty unusual for March, so we certainly had not thought this would be something we'd have to worry about! Anyway, after about 10 minutes, I decided it was pointless to lay there any longer and got up and started the last minute packing. Jeff got up shortly thereafter, and we woke up Jacob, or maybe he was awake... Anyway, we said our goodbyes and were out the door by 5:30 a.m. nearly on the dot. Jeff was feeling A LOT better today, thankfully, and volunteered to drive the first leg of the trip. In hindsight, I'm really glad he did because I was really tired. We pushed through and he drove all the way to Brunswick, Georgia (226 miles in 3.5 hrs). We got there at 9:00 a.m. or so and had a fast food breakfast. We left around 9:30 a.m. and I drove this time, straight to Florence, SC (245 miles in about 3.5 hrs). We stopped again and this time had some lunch - it was about 1 p.m. We got back on the road a little after 1:30 p.m. perhaps and Jeff drove us all the way home (145 miles in 2.5 hrs). We got home at 4:00 p.m.

Jacob was good in the car. He had a few moments of boredom, but we pushed him through with books, stickers, toys, stuffed animals, silliness, CD's, etc. We didn't even have to resort to the DVD player, NOR the jelly bellies on the way home. The last 30 minutes, he started getting a bit tired of riding, and I got out the camera and showed him pictures and videos from our trip. That got him through.

So, we are home now! Let's see if I can keep up this blogging thing! And, we'll see how much snow we get and whether our "vacation" is unexpectedly extended by a day tomorrow!

2 comments:

The Portas said...

It has been so much fun reading about your trip! Thanks for sharing it. Can't wait to see pics. Welcome home!

HeatherP said...

hope he feels better!! wow, he is getting so big, Zach weighed 31 pounds at his 3 year check up last week. Sounds like you guys had a wonderful trip.